Instagram is a widely used social media channel that millions of people access worldwide. On average, about 500 million users are active on Instagram daily, including kids and teens.
Children can’t live without posting their life events on Instagram stories and viewing one another’s feed. Not only do they share photos, videos, and memes, but they also send direct messages and comment on other people’s posts.
However, sometimes simple commenting and messaging becomes a real danger for young people.
Table Of Contents
What Parents Need to Know About Instagram
According to Motley Fool, Instagram is the 7th world’s biggest social network. It means that millions of kids become victims of badmouthing and harassment online every day.
The moderators responsible for monitoring Instagram on the subject of restricted contempt don’t always block offensive comments. What’s more, they are helpless when it comes to direct messages.
Since Instagram has launched its new vanish more feature, the danger of being groomed by a predator increases. As vanish mode erases messages read by a recipient, it’s getting harder to get evidence of online abuse on Instagram.
That’s why parents need to find a way to prevent their kids from getting into trouble on the Internet. One of the ways to do it is by setting up Instagram parental controls.
Instagram Tips for Parents: How to Secure Your Child Online
- It’s not recommended to allow kids under 13 to use Instagram and other social media apps. They may have an Internet connection on their smartphone, but it’s better to limit them in apps.
- Parents need to teach their kids Internet safety before they get access to Instagram. Explain what dangers can wait for them online and how they can deal with cyberbullies and online predators.
- Talk with your kids about the pitfalls of social media apps. Encourage them not to share personal information, such as their real name, phone number, and billing details.
- Note that kids often create fake Instagram accounts or “Finsta.” Finsta is used to hide children’s real activity from parents and browse the content they shouldn’t see. Make sure that your child is honest with you and owns no fake accounts.
- Consider setting up the security settings on your child’s Instagram account.
What Are the Options for Instagram Parental Monitoring?
Now, when you know the app’s main concerns, it’s time to set Instagram for kids accordingly. You have two options: using Instagram’s basic security features or trying out an Instagram monitoring app.
Useful Features of Instagram for Parents
#1 Setting your child’s account to private mode
You can prevent your kid from being followed by a predator by enabling private mode in their account. Unlike public profiles, private can’t be browsed or followed just by anyone.
To get started with private mode:
- Open your kid’s Instagram profile.
- Tap the burger menu (three horizontal lines) at the top right of the screen.
- Tap Settings > Privacy.
- Tap to toggle and enable Private Account.
#2 Blocking suspicious accounts
If your kids complain that a stranger has followed them, you can easily block undesirable accounts:
- Access your kid’s followers list.
- Tap the undesirable username or profile photo.
- Tap the kebab menu (three vertical dots).
- Tap Block.
#3 Report abusive content
If you want to report offensive content from a specific user, you can follow the steps listed above. You only need to tap Report instead of Block and choose the reason for reporting.
#4 Turning off comments
A proven way to secure your child from the aggressive behaviors of peers is by turning off the possibility to comment on posts.
- Access your kid’s profile and choose a post.
- Tap the kebab menu (three vertical dots) above the post.
- Tap Turn Off Commenting.
You can also turn off commenting before making a post. You need to tap Advanced Settings > Turn Off Commenting.
Note that you’ll have to apply this setting to each post that your child shares on Instagram.
Using mSpy for Instagram Monitoring
mSpy parental control app is a simple way to keep track of your child’s Instagram activity. Installed on your kid’s device, it allows you to see your child’s direct messages, shared media files, and see who contacts them.
Setting up mSpy is easy. Follow these steps:
- Choose a subscription. mSpy offers two types of plans: Basic and Premium. If you want to use the advanced features (including Instagram monitoring), we recommend that you buy Premium.
- Make a payment and wait for an email with details on mSpy installation.
- Use the received guide to install the app on your kid’s phone. Then, log in to your account and link your kid’s device.
- Give mSpy a few minutes to collect the information and start monitoring your kid’s Instagram in real-time right from your smartphone.
What Else You Can Do with mSpy
mSpy is compatible with most iOS and Android devices, including phones, tablets, and PCs. It allows parents to gain better insight into their kids’ online activities.
After installing and activating the app, you can see your child’s messages, call logs, and monitor the most popular social media apps, such as Instagram. Snapchat, Tinder, and Facebook.
You can also view visited web pages, track real-time GPS locations, and set geofencing. What’s more, mSpy makes it possible to record your kid’s keyboard strokes, get notification about using restricted words, use the keylogger to match passwords, and take advantage of the new screen recording feature.